We seek a motivated, creative, analytical, and client-facing development professional to join Wexford Science + Technology in our West Region development team in Phoenix, AZ, for this early career opportunity. The ideal candidate will have a passion for real estate, business, and people. They will enjoy working and leading multiple assignments with defined timelines and goals and possess excellent organizational, analytical, and written and verbal communication skills.
Assistant Director, Development
This position is a full-time position based in Phoenix, AZ and will be working in multiple Wexford West Region Markets, including Phoenix, Sacramento, and Seattle. It is anticipated that this position will work full-time from the office, with some flexibility for remote work to accommodate the schedule and business travel. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, Long Term Disability, life insurance, 401K.
Job Description Summary
Working in collaboration with the West Region Development Team and reporting to the Senior Vice President of Development – West Region, the position will be responsible for supporting the following aspects of the development process: project/transaction management, relationship management/support, market analysis, leasing, development, design and construction support, financial underwriting, property management, project coordination & scheduling, and community engagement, among other responsibilities for Wexford’s projects in the West Region. We expect this role to be an early career opportunity, ideal for someone seeking to develop skills and expand responsibilities in commercial real estate development as part of an established national development team and dynamic development in Wexford’s West Region territory. The ideal candidate will have some previous commercial real estate experience in areas including development, investment, leasing, business management, and knowledge of general workflow and processes in building construction. Effective analytical, administrative, judgment, problem-solving, decision-making, communication (verbal and written), and professional presentation skills are required. This position requires effective financial skills, the successful ability to perform independently and as a team member within an entrepreneurial environment, a high attentiveness to detail, and staying focused and following through on responsibilities. MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook) knowledge is required. Specific responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
1. Leasing / Marketing / Business Development / Relationship Management
- Work with broker team to prepare and execute leasing strategy for existing company assets and new development projects.
- Manage pipeline of prospective tenants for internal and external use.
- Establish and maintain a thorough knowledge of the local real estate market, including competitors, relevant construction and operating expense information, and share that knowledge internally.
- Oversee the customization and distribution of marketing materials for existing and new development projects. Collaborate with internal marketing resources and external teams to develop additional marketing materials as needed.
- Assist and manage lease negotiations, including working closely with legal counsel to review lease and other transactional documents.
- Facilitate the marketing of projects to investors and institutional partners from other markets, including virtual and in-person tours and presentations.
- Establish and maintain positive and professional relationships with the local brokerage and real estate communities, government officials, and prospective tenants.
- Participate in the asset management of existing properties, including tenant relations, investor relations, and communications.
2. Development / Construction
- Participate in managing active development projects, including feasibility analysis, entitlement processes, financing, design, contracting, and construction management.
- Assist in the pursuit of new development projects in the assembly of the project consultant team, concept drawings, and budgeting process to establish a project proforma and lease proposal.
- Assist in coordinating construction for existing and new development projects, including space planning, construction estimating, etc. Interface with architects, engineers, general contractors, and property management to ensure proper coordination.
- Participate in outreach with community stakeholders to inform and engage with our neighbors on project progress.
3. Finance / Analytics
- Perform financial analysis of new leases and development opportunities via financial modeling, analysis of cash flows, and application of valuation methods using Excel.
- Thoroughly understand the financial aspects of a lease proposal to prepare, present, and negotiate new leases and renewals at acceptable market rates.
- Provides administrative and financial support to ensure project completion and underwriting of new market opportunities for consideration.
- Monitor project budgets and schedules for significant variances and oversee contractor payments where appropriate.
4. General Responsibilities
- Develop a constant awareness of new opportunities, relationships, and competitive dynamics in the market.
- Share best practices with broader Wexford Development teams.
- Champion the Wexford, Knowledge Community, and Wexford’s West Region brands and developments.
These are the essential functions of the position; other duties may be assigned. Applicants may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job-related skills, and perform other work as required.
Preferred skills and experience include:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher
- 2 years minimum work experience
- Previous related work experience, preferably in a commercial real estate investment, development, or leasing context
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, internal and external
- Experience with sales, preferably leasing and managing strategic relationships
- Strong knowledge of financial return concepts as well as having primary real estate, economics, and accounting knowledge
- Proven ability to collaborate regularly with team members, partners, and clients, including research functions to capture market data and present content
- Strong ability to problem-solve with the ability to work effectively, efficiently, and independently in a deadline-driven, dynamic office environment
- Ability to maintain project schedules and produce timely, high-quality deliverables
- Possesses the highest degree of integrity
- Excellent working knowledge of the Internet and the Microsoft Office suite of programs, in particular, PowerPoint, and creating effective presentations
- Must be able to adapt to ever-changing technology
- Regular travel within the West Region is anticipated.
- This description of physical and mental activities is not intended to describe essential job functions. Rather, its purpose is to give the job applicant a feel for the physical and mental activities normally attendant to the job to the end that an applicant with a disability can determine whether they will be able to do this job either with or without accommodation.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell, and lift objects. The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Wexford Science + Technology seeks to create a diverse, inclusive and welcoming work environment and provides equal employment opportunity. Discrimination of any type is not tolerated. Wexford Science + Technology is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume that highlights relevant work experience in a single PDF to: [email protected] or complete the form below. Please name the file: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_ADD_WEST.PDF.