Wexford Science & Technology, the leading developer of university-centric real estate strategies and solutions is seeking a Knowledge Community Director for its Knowledge Community, uCity Square, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In this position, you will be responsible for conceiving, planning and executing signature programs, both led by Wexford and in partnership with others across uCity Square; cultivating engagement across the district among our university partners, tenants, community members, and Philadelphia’s ecosystem leaders from industry and government; and amplifying the programming and quality-of-life in uCity Square through regular and targeted communications to support the uCity Square brand. You will also work collaboratively with our uCity Square development team to support select leasing, marketing, and economic development activities.
This position requires both intellectual curiosity and strategic execution with demonstrated communication skills to engage diverse stakeholders; knowledge of university research and institutional advancement; a proven ability to design and implement impactful programs, events and initiatives; and a passion for building collaborative communities of innovators and creators.
Wexford Science & Technology, LLC, is a real estate company exclusively focused on partnering with universities, academic medical centers, and research institutions to develop vibrant, mixed-use, amenity-rich innovation districts, that we call “Knowledge Communities.” These highly collaborative, programmed, and amenitized environments are built on a foundation of discovery, innovation, entrepreneurial activity, corporate engagement, and community inclusion. Wexford targets strategic opportunities with top-tier research universities that are directly on or contiguous to dense, urban campuses. Presently Wexford has developed seventeen Knowledge Communities across the United States. For more information, please visit www.wexfordscitech.com.
Knowledge Community Director
This is a full-time, in-person role based in Wexford’s uCity Square office in Philadelphia. Some travel between Philadelphia, Baltimore and NE Region locations will be expected. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. The position will report to the Senior Vice President and Chief Community Officer.
Job Description and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for leading and overseeing the development and management of Wexford’s Innovation Elements within our Knowledge Community – uCity Square; particularly the elements of university engagement, ecosystem development, and programming. The position will also work collaboratively with our northeast region development team to support select marketing and economic development activities. The position will also work in collaboration with the uCity Square team in building relationships and executing programs and initiatives that drive the uCity Square brand and value proposition in the community.
- Ecosystem Leadership and Strategy
- Serve as Wexford’s innovation curator and super connector in the market; driving the development and execution of Wexford’s Innovation Elements within the Knowledge Community of uCity Square
- Develop a comprehensive strategy that strengthens the Wexford-University relationship and creates alignment and engagement among anchor institutions, tenants, intermediaries, and community members
- Collaborate with Wexford uCity Square and northeast region team to ensure consistency, quality, and collaboration in uCity’s outreach, engagement, and economic development activities
- Knowledge Community Activation, Engagement, and Programming
- Curate outdoor activations that enhance the community experience and showcase uCity Square’s unique offerings
- Develop and manage the Innovation Programming Calendar, coordinating weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual events and activities that align with the community’s needs and objectives
- Design and implement community-focused initiatives, including experiential marketing programs, to engage internal and external stakeholders within uCity Square
- Community and Economic Development
- Partner with the Market Executive and local General Contractor to drive inclusive workforce development, contracting, and procurement practices within the Knowledge Community
- Collaborate with external organizations, industry experts, and local stakeholders to foster partnerships that enhance community engagement and support the Knowledge Community’s objectives.
- Oversee the successful execution of Innovation Elements, programming, and community inclusion initiatives, ensuring they are delivered on time and within budget
These are the essential functions of the position; other duties may be assigned. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job-related skills, and perform other work as required.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or demonstrated experience in a relevant field (e.g., university administration, community development, corporate engagement, communications)
- Experience working within a university or innovation district organization a plus, but not a requirement
- Proven experience in events and programming, community engagement, project management, or a related role
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships at all levels
- Strategic thinker with the ability to develop and execute innovative initiatives
- A self-starter with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and balance multiple priorities
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in community design, experiential marketing, and inclusion a plus
- Understanding of workforce development, contracting, and procurement practices is a plus
Wexford offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401(k) matching.
Interested candidates should email in a single PDF that includes a cover letter, resume, and evidence of relevant experience: [email protected] or complete the form below. Please name the file: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_KCD_PHL.PDF.