We are seeking a motivated, analytical, collaborative, creative and client facing development professional to join our Southeast development team in Baltimore, MD. This role is focused on Wexford’s projects in North Carolina, with a particular focus on Innovation Quarter, our Knowledge Community in Winston-Salem and development of the new Charlotte Innovation District. The ideal candidate will have a passion for real estate, business, problem solving, managing multiple assignments with defined goals and possess excellent organizational, analytical, written and verbal communication skills.
Assistant Director, Development, Southeast Region – Charlotte and Winston-Salem Innovation Districts
This is a full-time position and based in Wexford’s Baltimore Headquarters Office. Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, Long Term Disability, life insurance, 401K.
Job Description Summary
Working in collaboration with and reporting to Wexford’s Vice President of Development and Market Lead, the Developer will be responsible for assisting in all aspects of the development process, including community engagement, pre-development activities, budgeting, financing, project management, development, construction and leasing among other responsibilities for Wexford’s projects in Winston Salem and Charlotte. Candidates for this position should be detail oriented, have relevant experience in real estate development, finance, business management and general knowledge of building construction. Excellent analytical and financial modeling skills, judgement, problem-solving, communication (verbal and written) and professional presentation skills are required. This position requires the ability to perform both independently and as a team member within an entrepreneurial environment. MS Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook) knowledge is required. Specific responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
1. Development / Construction
- Participate in the management of active development projects including feasibility analysis, entitlement processes, financing, design, contracting, and construction management.
- Assist in the pursuit of new development projects and the assemblage of the project consultant team, concept drawings and budgeting process to establish a project proforma and lease proposal.
- Assist in the coordination of construction for both existing and new development projects including space planning, construction estimating, etc. Interface with architects, engineers, general contractors and property management to ensure proper coordination.
- Participate in outreach with community stakeholders to inform and engage with our neighbors on project progress.
2. Finance / Analytics
- Perform financial analysis of new leases and development opportunities via financial modeling, analysis of cash flows, and application of valuation methods using a combination of Argus and Excel software.
- Thoroughly understand the financial aspects of a lease proposal to prepare, present and negotiate new leases and renewals at acceptable market rates.
- Assist with underwriting new market opportunities for consideration.
- Monitor project budgets and schedules for significant variances and oversee contractor payments where appropriate.
3. Leasing / Marketing / Relationship Management
- Participate in preparing and executing leasing strategy for existing company assets and new development projects.
- Manage pipeline of prospective tenants for internal and external use.
- Establish and maintain a thorough knowledge of the local real estate market, including competitors, relevant construction and operating expense information and share that knowledge internally.
- Participate in customization and distribution of marketing materials for existing and new development projects. Collaborate with internal marketing and external marketing firms to develop additional marketing materials as needed.
- Assist and manage lease negotiations, including working closely with legal counsel in review of lease documents.
- Facilitate the marketing of projects to investors and institutional partners from other markets, including virtual and in-person tours and presentations.
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with the local brokerage and real estate communities, government officials and prospective tenants.
- Participate in the asset management of existing properties, including tenant relations, investor relations, and communications.
These are the essential functions of the position; other duties may be assigned. Applicants may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire job-related skills, and perform other work as required.
Preferred skills and experience include:
- Bachelor’s Degree or MBA
- Professional work experience in one or multiple of the following areas: real estate, finance, business management, construction, project management, engineering, architectural design, preferably in a commercial real estate, leasing or development context
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal, internal and external
- Experience with sales, preferably leasing, and managing strategic relationships
- Strong knowledge of financial return concepts as well as having basic real estate, economics, and accounting knowledge
- Proven ability to collaborate regularly with team members, partners and clients, including research functions to capture market data and present content
- Strong ability to problem-solve with the ability to work effectively, efficiently, and independently in a deadline-driven, dynamic office environment
- Ability to maintain project schedules and produce timely, high-quality deliverable
- Possesses the highest degree of integrity.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Internet and the Microsoft Office suite of programs, in particular PowerPoint and creating effective presentations
- Must be able to adapt to ever-changing technology
- This description of physical and mental activities is not intended to describe essential job functions. Rather, its purpose is to give to the job applicant a feel for the physical and mental activities normally attendant to the job to the end that an applicant with a disability can determine whether he/she will be able to do this job either with or without accommodation.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell, and lift objects. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular travel to North Carolina.
Wexford Science + Technology seeks to create a diverse, inclusive and welcoming work environment and provides equal employment opportunity. Discrimination of any type is not tolerated. Wexford Science + Technology is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Interested candidates should email in a single PDF a cover letter, resume, desired compensation, and any work samples that illustrate your best work consistent with our objectives for this position, including at least one presentation sample and one writing sample to: [email protected] or complete the form below. Please name the file: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME_DEVELOPMENT_SE_NC.PDF.